Monday, May 23, 2011

Symphonies of the Post-Romantic

To this day, I hold that one of my most memorable performance experiences was during the 2008 New England Music Festival where I, along with the orchestra, played the Allegro con brio of H. Hanson’s Symphony No. 2 “Romantic”.  What a wonderfully-ebullient movement!  Not a single rehearsal went by during that festival that I didn’t leave with a smile, arms covered in goosebumps, humming the majestic conversations between the cellos and French horns.  


Ever since, I’ve been hooked on the orchestral colour of Post-Romantic music.  So, for my first week I’ve decided to explore what the Naxos Music label has to offer for lesser-known Post-Romantic symphonies. 

Join me and the FermataPhone community on Wednesday and Saturday for an exploration of two symphonies that deserve a spot in our stereo’s repertoire.  It’s sure to be a fun ride for your ears and your hair follicles!

Happy Listening!
_
Phil


No comments:

Post a Comment